Google “Ikea Moppe Chest” and you’ll get tons of hacks for this handy little chest of drawers. I was inspired by a pin I stumbled across on Pinterest (linked below), and decided to try hacking one of these bad boys on my own.
I’ll be honest, I am probably one of the most impatient people when it comes to doing DIY projects… My husband has all of the patience in the world for tedious tasks, but it’s not something that comes naturally to me. It’s something that I am trying to get better at, and even though this project was almost a bit too long for me (it really isn’t that hard, it just takes time to do the staining and waiting for it to dry), I managed to finish it. Well, mostly, anyways.
Case in point: I took these photos and then decided that I want to distress the chest a bit to make it look more rustic. I’ll update this post when I get around to doing that, but I wanted to get this post up so that I could list my sources for anyone who wants to try this project for themselves.
How to Hack It
- Ikea Moppe Mini Chest
- DecoArt Vintage Effect Wash in “Brown”
- Drawer Pulls
- Paint brush
- Cloth rag
- Small Philips screwdriver
Take the drawers out of the chest. Grab the DecorArt Vintage Effect Wash, a paint brush and your rag. You don’t have to use a paintbrush (I didn’t) but I think it would have went a lot faster had I thought to use one… Whoops!
Brush the stain onto the outside of the chest, then wipe it off with your rag. Let the stain dry a bit before tackling the inside so you don’t smudge that pretty outside stain.
Stain the outsides of the drawers. Remember that we are going to use the end of the drawers without the hole as the front. I did not stain the inside of the drawers, but you could if you really wanted to.
Let it dry overnight (or not… I put the drawer pulls on after I had finished all of the staining and they felt dry).
Measure your drawer pulls so they are centered and at the height you like. (I put my drawer pulls about 3cm from the top of each drawer). If you are super handy and/or have more patience than I do, I would suggest drilling a tiny pilot hole for your screws. I managed to mess up one of the screws and was SO lucky that there was a spare in the bag of drawer pulls I had purchased. Learn from my mistake and if you can, use a drill to make those pilot holes.